WILL UNWOUND #149: “I’m Not a Twit. Are you a Twit?” by Will ManleyJune 21, 2010
Things I get:
I don’t want to bore you with a longer list but I get all these things above that I have provided links to. I understand their use if not their necessity. In fact I think I understand most technological innovations that weave their way into the pop culture. I ignore most of them but I get them.
But I don’t get Twitter.
I understand that Twitter is becoming more and more popular and I understand that many librarians think it has the potential to be a powerful tool for libraries, but I don’t know why. What intrigues me about Twitter is that many readers are referred to this blog from Twitter messages. I have gotten hundreds of new readers from Twitter, which makes me happy, but I still don’t get Twitter.
Why don’t I get Twitter? It doesn’t make sense to me. If you browse through the internet you can easily get into many different Twitter accounts. I misspent a couple of hours last week (should have been reading mysteries) poking around in 20 or 30 random Twitter accounts and here is a sampling of the messages I read:
- Dirty Doug’s hot dogs rock. Just 8 one with xtra onions.
- Bought red Sharpie today. M xcited! Have only had black b4. Tweet!
- Can’t find tangerine Altoids anywhere. *Sighs*
- U.S. team needs to bear down. Arrrrgh.
- Laundry day today. Soooo not ready for laundry.
- Got 38 new BBFs this week.
- Sky getting cloudy.
- I’m gr8!
- Well, crap.
In my two hours of browsing Twitter random messages I found nothing funny, profound, or interesting. It was all so ordinary…the ordinary expressed in the most ordinary way possible.
Why would someone Twitter the message “Well, crap?” Why would anyone waste their day sending out Twitter messages that are …well, crap?
I’m not being satirical here. I’m being soooo serious. I simply don’t get it and I soooo want to get it. Arrgh! I’m keeping an open mind….tweet, tweet !
For many years I didn’t get blogging and now that I’m blogging I soooo get it. I love blogging. I love setting up a new dialogue every day with all of you. I now have soooo many BFFs because of blogging. Will Twitter do the same for me once I give it a chance?
QUESTIONS FOR UNWINDERS
- Sooooo, Unwinders, would someone please tell me what Twitter is really all about and why I should start Twittering.
- Is there a place for Twitter in your library?
- Fill in the blank – “Twitter is soooo__________.”
- Multiple choice: Twitter is a) friend filled fun; b) an important means of communication; c) a colossal waste of time, d) one more manifestation of a narcissistic culture, e) a passing fad that will be as relevant in 5 years as 8 track tapes; f) all of the above. Note: you are not limited to one choice.
- If I started Twittering, how many of you would follow my tweets on a regular basis? Be honest. You definitely won’t hurt my feelings by saying “No.” Remember, I’m retired and take a lot of naps. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz….tweet, tweet!
- Any nostalgic memories of the 7 obsolete technologies I listed at the beginning of the post?
REMEMBER…THIS BLOG IS A GROUP EFFORT. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. DIRTY DOUG’S HOT DOGS ROCK!